24 March 2011

Learning Inventory

So I'm in college... at just shy of 40... I don't like it! Sure the scenery is great (This is where I like to point out to my 11 year old, that just because I'm married... doesn't mean I'm dead!)! I never really liked school, even way back in the day when I was forced to go by the State. Well... in order for me to maintain some symbolic version of an income... I am once again forced to go. Don't get me wrong, I love to learn new stuff and have a voracious appetite for technological information and know-how. I just don't like the traditional set-up of the collegiate educational system. Here's how I like it... Don't give me a bunch of theory and reading to do then throw some assignments at me based on those theories. Walk me through the task that you want accomplished... inject the basics of the theory in the walk-thru and then let me have it. Monkey see, monkey do. Guess that fits if you want to break it down that simply. It basically boils down to the same thing I kept asking in high school... what practical application for my future life does this have. I don't like books, therefore, the chances of me actually sitting down and reading one are slim, even if you present it in a cool ass new digital format. On the flip side to this don't just give me a bunch of assignments with no support to back it up. Most people that I encounter that are studying the same or similar fields to what I am in school for, are visual learners. The kinda folks that like to go in and play with things until they break, then try and fix them. This is how I learned to fix computers. Present things as the end result, walking through the steps to get there and then be available for questions in the event I get in a bind. What I have noted with a lot of my classmates, is, what boils down to cheating. One person figures it out or actually is able to function in the read it/do it environment and then the work get passed around and to their clique. Seeing as I rarely fall into any clique, I tend to be an outside observer struggling to figure it all out on my own and while learning it better (tests have proved this!!), I tend to not do as well in keeping up with the busy work. Of course that would be a lot easier if it was routinely handed to me. I have learned most of my past jobs by OJT, on the job training. You go and do the job and then someone in charge, informs you of the mistakes you made and generally offers an alternate solution to the way in which you did it. So I learned. I developed my skills in repairing bicycles, cars, electrical circuits, helicopters and many other things in this manner and have been successful at it. Then I end up in college and am asked to "learn" by reading a bunch of theories and applying them. Not that theories aren't important, but it seems to me that getting to the finished product would be immensely more important then how/why the theories are implemented. Yes, the theories are important, but if you know how to get from a to b, then you should figure out the theories behind how/why it works. If you never figure out the reasoning behind it... if you know how to make it work... wasn't that the point? Guess this is just a rant that stems from the fact that I don't like school... learning, yes, but not school. Plus I don't feel like those folks, that usually make higher grades than I, that go around getting their classwork from the others in the class are actually learning the work. Companies need to base their employment decisions less on what a person's grades are and more on the practical application of the job skills that are required for the job... not everyone learns as much as their grades might indicate. My last job, from which I was laid off, required at the time I was hired, that you take a basic skills test that encompassed what was needed to know to properly perform the job. As they phased out the testing, quality suffered, not only with the personnel, but the end product and thus sales. I reckon what I'm trying to say with all this is... a piece of paper (diploma, certification, etc.) DOES NOT quantify a person's skill level, but is merely a measure of whether they learn in a traditional way or not. My opinion... Just sayin

2 comments:

  1. from what I gather it sounds more like you're at a "university" than a "community college". I've got my BS degree from UNCC's business school and frankly based on what I learned there was 99% theory, not real world experience. ... So I feel that my degree is appropriately initialed BS. Out of all the business courses I took, only one professor actually had real world experience and I was amazed at the number of people intimidated by his class and teaching methods. Plus you see I'm not using this degree in the architecture business. Actually got an associates from CPCC from real world people, where teaching was their second job/hobby. Scary thing is I was more prepared and able to adapt to the real world working environment for this job with a 2 year technical degree than the kids coming out of a 5 year architecture program at the local university. All the real world courses they need to function in this profession are mostly elective courses. So why would a kid dreaming of what he can design take a course in building codes which will severely hamper those dream designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If in high school they had plopped an automotive math book down in front of me, instead of an Algebra or geometry book... I might could have been in the top 10% or so of my class. The class I functioned best in was Journalism... because it was learning by doing with some support and correction. I know lots of people with 4 year degrees that are suffering from ID-10T disease and all that time spent "book learning" only got them into positions that required them to lean more on the people ACTUALLY doing the work. I actually got a better education out of my automotive classes at CPCC than I have the networking classes I'm taking now. To get in a "community college" you take learning "inventories to see what kind of "learner" you are and then they basically ignore the results. Maybe we should start our own school! My wife and Mother both being educators agree that the current state of the educational system at all levels, is major need of an overhaul! Not everyone needs to get a 4 year degree and some folks that do actually should have gone to a trade school! This is why we are sooooo far behind the rest of the world. And will remain so unless there is change!

    ReplyDelete